Thursday, 11 June 2015

My first image is that of my class-mate Braga. I took this image on our trip to Whitby and my plan was to capture him (and others) in a natural pose. I didn't want to tell him when I was going to take the photo, I was just going to get his attention and capture the moment. This was my first attempt,  so he wasn't expecting me to take the photo so I think his natural reaction to smile once he saw the camera really caputred the mood I was going for. If I had constantly been getting his attention and pointing a camera at him there'd be the possibility he'd try and pose and that wasn't the look I wanted at all. This is probably one of my favourite images I have taken during my time on the course. I also tried my best to apply the rule of thirds with the image but as only a novice with a camera, I'm not sure how well I achieved that. I decide to make this image black and white as I found it visually the most stimulating. The image makes me smile when I see it because it reminds me of a fun day. Braga is an interesting guy with stories to tell from home and here in the UK and he is someone I have grown close to as the year has progressed so I wanted to make sure to include him in my portfolio of photographs.

The Focal length for the image was 55.0mm and the ISO 100. 

The above image is that of a storage unit not far from the college. I wanted to include some images of my town, Middlesbrough, in my portfolio as it is a place that is very dear to me. For all I know this place could have not been used in years, but something about it seemed interesting to me. Maybe it was the fact it looked quite grim and grotty and in dire need of a new paint job. Stuff like that had always appealed to me, I like wear and tear. It gives things more character in my opinion. I again made this image black and white as I thought it made it look more visually stimulating and captured the mood I was ging for.
The focal length for the image was 24.0mm.


The above image is another of my fellow classmates, Guy. This photo was taken in the college studio using artificial lighting. The lighting technique used is called 'Rembrandt lighting' and is named after the Dutch painter who often used that type of lighting. I again tried to apply the rule of thirds in this image. As one of my aims of my portfolio was to capture people, I again wanted to capture someone who I have grown close to over the course of the year. This is another one of my favourite images from my portofolio.
The apateur value for the image is f/5.7 and focal length was 41.0mm. The image was also shot in raw.

The above image of a horse was another taken on our trip to Whitby. Something about this horse stood in what seemed to be a fairly barren bit of land seemed quite sad to me even though its surronding areas were very nice and I'm sure the horse gets plenty of attention and care not just from its owners as it is located in a part of Whitby that will attract many visitors. I again tried to apply the rule of thirds to this image but I think I could have done better in that asspect. I made the image in black and white as I think it makes the tone appear quite sad, even if it is over exaggerared and not exactly accurate.
The focal length was 20.0, with the ISO at 400

 
The above image was an experiement with over exposure. The ISO was set to 800 and the shutter speed 1/125. Although it's not the best photograph I quite like how it has turned out. It looks quite eerie to me and something I could use for an album cover. I like how the image looks different depending on your distance and angle.


The above image was an attempt to capture movement just down from the college. I had only planned to capture the movement of the passing cars but a passer-by ended up in the shot and I like how it turned out. It almost doesn't look real and I must have been so focused looking at the camera I actually didn't spot him coming until he had actually walked past and I viewed the image later. The shutter speed was set to 1/4 and the depth of field was foccused on the background of the image.


The above image is that of my classmate Richard on the topfloor of the Zetland carpark. In this image he is intentionally out of focus, while the background is in focus. This is an image I had wanted to try and create for sometime although I am not overly happy with the outcome. I was hoping to capture more of Middlesbrough's industrial area but the carpark was as high as we could get on short notice. I adjusted the vibrance of the image in Photoshop and am happy with how that came out.
The shutter speed was set to 1/2000 and the apeture 4.0. I also used a Canon 55-250mm lens.



The above image is another attempt to capture movement. Unfortunatley the fountain wasn't operating at full power so I was unable to get the shot I had hoped but I am relatively happy with how it turned out. The shot was taken just outside Mima in Middlesbrough, which is one of my favourite venues in the town. The shutter speed was again set to 1/4

This image is another I took in Whitby. This is another one of my favourite images I have taken over the course of the year. One of the things I researched and wanted to do was capture images that could be used as postcards and I think this is probably the image that captures what I wanted to acheive the best. I edited the image in photoshop to create a more 'washed out' look as I felt this looked better than the actual image I took, which was too sunny and 'pleasent' looking for my liking. The final outcome makes the image look like it was taken on a more drab day which is what I was going for.
The shutter speed for this image was set to 1/200

My final image is another I am quite pleased with. I spent most of our trip to Whitby pointing the camera and buildings and people but I decide to take a few of the sky/clouds which started to look really nice once the sun got out and I am really happy with the outcome, though I did adgust the vibrance in Photoshop. This again is another image that fits in with my 'Postcard' theme I was trying to achieve.
The shutter speed for this image was set to 1/640.


Conclusion -
I am quite happy with my final portfolio. I would have liked to focus more on people but as a lot of my friends I had in my for my shoot had deadlines of their own to worry about, finding the time proved difficult. There was also the issue that I was unallowed to take kit from the college, which was frustrating as I would have really liked to experiment with some night photography. I did seek out a friend who owned her own camera to help me get some of the shots, but her time was also limited. I have enjoyed this part of the course the most as it has allowed us the most creativity and allowed us to express ourselves more. Photography is something I have wanted to learn more about for a while now so I am greatful for time our tutor has given us and the things we have been taught. My next point of call is to invest in my own camera so I can explore what I have learnt further.





No comments:

Post a Comment